Skip to main content

The Braden Bin - 8/26/16




What I'm Reading:  http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Creating-Birds-of-a-Feather.pdf

A great article on connecting with students whom may be difficult to connect with due to cultural differences.  But, how can you find similarities with students who are so different from you?  Read this article and find out!

What I'm Watching - Alan Watts - Why Your Life is Not a Journey

Alan Watts - Why Your Life Is Not A Journey from David Lindberg on Vimeo.


An absolutely  beautiful rendition of Alan Watts speaking on enjoying the journey of life rather than focusing on the end point of everything you do.  Some very interesting and thought provoking points on education he makes in this video as well.

What I'm Watching *Bonus!

This has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING but what it does have to do with is placing a rubber chicken into a fan and it is totally worth watching...


Guys, a 6 second video of a rubber chicken being "put" into a fan has 376,000 views.  How does that make you feel?  


Social Media Post I'm Digging




How about that?  Shelly Slater is a reporter for WFAA here in the DFW area.  It's always nice to see somebody as successful as her give a shout out to the schools and school district she came up in!

FYI

September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.  If you are looking for ways to raise awareness or help in any way, here are some resources for you!  My little Avery and all of those fighting alongside her appreciate it!  #OwlsForAvery

http://www.acco.org/childhood-cancer-awareness-month/

http://www.childrenscancer.org/main/latest/september_is_childhood_cancer_awareness_month/

http://www.stbaldricks.org/blog/post/get-involved-in-september-for-childhood-cancer-awareness-month/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

Creating Authentic Thinkers

I read a tweet the other day by @realscientists that said, "We've raised a generation of people who can DO math, but most don't UNDERSTAND what they're doing..." and if I could have made a standing ovation tweet, I would have.  Perfectly said. Maybe the tweet had such an impact on me because it is something I noticed this year in my classroom.    One example in particular is that my students do a pretty good job with the math but are struggling with the problems.  In other words, they can find a NUMBER but they struggle to find an ANSWER to a problem. I have a few theories as to why this is happening and what we can do to fix it. One, they are terrified of failing.  They've gone through hardcore testing for at least 3 years now and because of the stakes of those tests and their fear of failing them, they have allowed that to bleed into their every day academic lives and are now governed by it. Two, they've never had to.  This isn't a dog on t