Skip to main content

Guest Post - Google Classroom

This is the second installment of a little "guest blogger" series on this ol' blog.

The wonderful information below is provided by a 1st grade teacher at my school, Tania Hiserote-Santiago (@Mrs_TSantiago).  Mrs. Santiago has been teaching for 7 years. This is her fifth year teaching in a first grade bilingual class. She taught 2 years in a second grade monolingual class in Houston prior to joining our school district. She recently got her GT certification by the state of Texas. She has served as a Science Curriculum writer and translator for the Writing curriculum as well!

In order to work towards reaching her T-TESS goal, Mrs. Santiago knew it would be helpful if she could share resources with other teachers in our building who shared a similar goal. She created a Google Classroom to help her do just that.  Enjoy the post below and don't forget to follow her on Twitter!

Why Google Classroom?
Google Classroom offers many advantages for an educator seeking to learn and share their knowledge. When I started to work on my goal for this year I began to wonder - Is there another teacher on my campus that has the same or similar goal as me?  Would I have the time to meet with these people frequently?  What would be the best way to communicate with them? How accessible would my sharing method would be?
Google Classroom offered the perfect easy-to-use layout combined with the accessibility I was looking for. One of the biggest reasons I love using google classroom is the effective feedback that acts as an immediate support to the learners. It also has a great commenting system, which is very useful for online discussions about certain articles, topics, etc.
At first I was a little intimidated about making one. I wasn’t sure if I was tech savvy enough, but if you don’t take a chance, how would you ever know, right? If you have the courage to begin, then you have the courage to succeed. So that’s how I started a google classroom focus in vocabulary development and I am so glad I did.
This year the First grade team had really benefited from this amazing tool. Even though some of team members did not share the same goal as me, they still benefited from the information available in the google classroom and even use it as an “add on” to their own goal. Sometimes, we would find ourselves discussing “offline” about an activity we tried and how it worked with our students. We have now extended the invitation to other staff members that had expressed interest in joining the class.

I feel like google classroom has opened a door of endless possibilities for me to reach my goal. It has encouraged me to continue to be part of this streamlined collaboration system that has made me a better learner; therefore a better educator. Sometimes learning begins at the end of our comfort zone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

Creating Authentic Thinkers

I read a tweet the other day by @realscientists that said, "We've raised a generation of people who can DO math, but most don't UNDERSTAND what they're doing..." and if I could have made a standing ovation tweet, I would have.  Perfectly said. Maybe the tweet had such an impact on me because it is something I noticed this year in my classroom.    One example in particular is that my students do a pretty good job with the math but are struggling with the problems.  In other words, they can find a NUMBER but they struggle to find an ANSWER to a problem. I have a few theories as to why this is happening and what we can do to fix it. One, they are terrified of failing.  They've gone through hardcore testing for at least 3 years now and because of the stakes of those tests and their fear of failing them, they have allowed that to bleed into their every day academic lives and are now governed by it. Two, they've never had to.  This isn't a dog on t