- I'm not sure who to give credit to for this quote but I first heard it from Plano ISD's superintendent Dr. Binggeli during his first "speech" to the administrators in the district. That was at the beginning of the year, and here I am, in the first week since teachers and students have left for the summer, still pondering it.
- I think for too long the teaching profession went like this - This is my classroom, these are my students. I'll do my thing and you'll do yours. Good luck and good riddance! Now, the teaching profession is moving in the direction of collaboration, sharing of resources and ideas, etc. Educators are realizing that much can be learned from their comrades.
- This is a pretty fascinating study and while the concept is abstract, as a school administrator I get it. I'm sorry to say, while this study looked at high school suspensions, this is something that starts as early as elementary.
- Sometimes situations that arise in school take those decisions out of administrators hands and it's all up to policy as to whether or not a student is suspended from school but I think with the wave of educators interested in restorative discipline, the number of students being suspended will decrease substantially.
What I'm Reading (Bonus): Economists show that boys who grow up around books earn significantly more money as adults
- THIS IS IT! It's the study that every young boy needs to see. Ask a young man what they want to be when they grow up and 99.99% of the time the answer is going to be something that makes a significant amount of money. Show them this article and just tell them to read at least 10 books, keep them on your shelves (because they have to be "around" them) and they can earn 21% more than their peers!
What I'm Watching : Oh just a crazy video of a couple in a Jeep offroading down Black Bear Pass in Colorado. There might be a choice word or two but once you watch the video, can you blame them? How about the wife? The husband, who is driving, seems to not be too concerned about anything at all - listen to his jams!
Website I'm Frequenting: LiveATC.net
- Ok, so I have a confession to make. I like to listen to live air traffic control in my free time. I have taught myself, with the help of a friend whom I believe I've mentioned on this blog before, what they are saying with all that code mombo jombo. I'm not going to lie, several times when I listen to it, I have a copy of the airport map in front of me so I know what runways they are using to land and take off from.
Website I'm Frequenting (Bonus): Live Air Traffic Radar
- That's right, gone are the days of you sitting out in your backyard with a pair of cheap binoculars pointed to the sky wondering where that airplane is going, where it's coming from. Ok, so maybe you don't do that, but I do! NOW, you can simultaneously spot planes with those cheap nocs, listen to said planes communicate with ATC and see where they are going and where they are coming from.
This is pretty much me...
Except those nocs are way more $$ than my pair.
- I'm a sarcastic guy. It's my personality, but I can promise you this... I can't get enough of those two websites.