Skip to main content

Silent Lunch

Now hang on, if you are thinking this is going to be a post to support the silencing of all students while eating lunch in the cafeteria, you are wrong.  Well, maybe.  In my 7 years as an educator, I've never been a proponent of taking away recess time and/or asking students to not talk during lunch.  I've always felt those times are their times.  Times during the day when they don't have to deal with us teachers.  When they can freely interact with their peers, build social relationships, chew the cud if you will.

I don't think we need to turn our cafeterias into this...


Perhaps I've had a slight change of heart the past few days.  You see, my fifth graders decided not to make the best choices in their short jaunt to the cafeteria.  They sounded like a high school marching band marching down the hallway.  I decided to bring down the hammer.  Silent lunch for the first 15 minutes. It was wonderful.  The students finished their lunches before the time was up.  My stress level, along with the other 5th grade teacher, was down and I didn't feel like this...


Overall, lunch was quite peaceful.  It made me think, should we institute a no talking policy for the first 15 minutes every day?  I decided to poll the students to see what they thought of the 15 minute serenity.  
The vote came back 32 in favor of peacefulness and 39 against.

So, what do we do?

I remember when I was in elementary school we had a big stop light in the cafeteria.


No, it didn't look like that.  Basically, whenever the noise got too loud a teacher would switch it from green to yellow and when the decibel level reached that of a 50,000 seat arena, they would switch it to red which meant no more monkeys jumping on the bed.

As educators, shouldn't we teach self regulation?  Shouldn't our students be able to tell if they are being too loud and quiet down?  Is this how they are at Applebee's?  How do we teach that?

I've tried an iPhone app that measures decibel levels.  If the decibel level reached a certain point, the kids knew to quiet down.  Unfortunately, we don't have a big screen in our cafeteria for all of them to see at once.  I had to walk around showing them my phone, one table at a time.  Needless to say, that didn't last long.  Perhaps if we had the screen, they could use it as a tool to self-regulate.

My question is this Blogucators...how do you manage the noise levels in the cafeteria at your school?

How do you get your eatery from looking like this...


To this?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

The Braden Bin

Welcome to the second installment of The Braden Bin, formerly known as Friday Finds.  Yep, week two and the name has already changed.  For those that know me know that it is likely to change a few dozen more times.  Just the way I am.  I'm comfortable with it. (Haha, by the way, I actually changed the title AGAIN, while writing this blog.  It was Ben's Bin.  Oh me oh my.) Music I'm Jamming To:   Coming Home by Leon Bridges A blast from the past out of Ft. Worth,Texas.  That's right, not Detroit in the '60s...Ft. Worth, Texas - 2016.  Most of you probably have heard of him already but if you haven't, I'd suggest getting on the bandwagon now.  This guy is amazing and is only going to gain more popularity.  I cannot wait for his next album to come out. If you are into Vinyl, I strongly suggest picking this one up.   Bonus:   Lisa Sawyer by Leon Bridges What I'm watching :   German Coast Guard - what are you sinking about... Did you LOL?  I