Skip to main content

Professional Development

As you've probably noticed from my posts so far, I'm a big fan of providing authentic experiences to my students in the classroom.  But, as an aspiring administrator, I also understand the importance of providing authentic learning opportunities to the teachers and staff as well.  This past Friday, my principal did just that.

You see, we are having a much lower than expected turnout for kindergarten registration this year.  Furthermore, we have identified a pre-K program that would do wonders for our kids preparedness when they eventually come to us.  This pre-K program is also having lower than expected registrations.  My principal, understanding that our community has a lot on their plates in terms of...well...life...asked us teachers to head out to the various neighborhoods, go door to door, and hand out fliers Friday afternoon (it was a half-day for our students- the afternoon was set aside for PD).  Needless to say, some staff members were horrified by the idea, some a little hesitant, and some with the unflappable determination to do whatever it takes to keep this machine running.  I'm pretty sure nobody jumped up and down in excitement upon hearing the plan.

I was grouped with a few amazing teachers at the school and together we set out, albeit somewhat reluctantly, to canvass the neighborhood in search of Kindergarten children.  Ok, I realize how that sounds but hopefully you've been reading this post up to this point and understand what I mean.  If you haven't, please go up to the top of this page and build some context around the statement I made about Kindergarten children.  Not too crazy about the idea of going door to door, we were determined to do what needed to be done.  What ended up happening turned out to be the best Professional Development experience of my 7 year career.

If you are a teacher and you haven't been out and about in your student's neighborhood(s), especially if you are at a Title-1 school, you need to do so ASAP.  Man, what an eye opening experience.  We spoke with grandmothers, ran into alums who went to my school 40 years ago, freaked students out ("Ummm Mr. Braden, what are YOU doing here?"), and had the opportunity to reach out and show our community that we really do care.

What started out as a directive from a superior turned out to be a valuable learning experience that is only bound to help me connect with my students on a more personal level.  I know where you are from.  Maybe I have a better idea of what you go through on a daily basis.  Your neighbors saw us and hopefully realize now that we are ok- schools are not the bad guy.  Now, perhaps the next step is to invite my students into my neighborhood.  Ehh, I don't think so.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

The Braden Bin

Welcome to the second installment of The Braden Bin, formerly known as Friday Finds.  Yep, week two and the name has already changed.  For those that know me know that it is likely to change a few dozen more times.  Just the way I am.  I'm comfortable with it. (Haha, by the way, I actually changed the title AGAIN, while writing this blog.  It was Ben's Bin.  Oh me oh my.) Music I'm Jamming To:   Coming Home by Leon Bridges A blast from the past out of Ft. Worth,Texas.  That's right, not Detroit in the '60s...Ft. Worth, Texas - 2016.  Most of you probably have heard of him already but if you haven't, I'd suggest getting on the bandwagon now.  This guy is amazing and is only going to gain more popularity.  I cannot wait for his next album to come out. If you are into Vinyl, I strongly suggest picking this one up.   Bonus:   Lisa Sawyer by Leon Bridges What I'm watching :   German Coast Guard - what are you sinking about... Did you LOL?  I