Skip to main content

The Braden Bin - 2/26/16

What I am watching:  

  • A few weeks ago, I posted a video from El Dorado High School in El Dorado, AR.  The video is titled "Students react to being called important".  It hit home like a ton of bricks.  I watched it and shared it with my staff smack dab in the middle of a highly emotional week for me.  I was able to share the video during a staff meeting but wasn't really able to say anything afterwords due to man tears.  Luckily, one of our counselors, Ms. Carreno and our 5th grade team leader, Ms. Wisler had my back.  
  • We wondered what it would be like if we did this with elementary aged students.  Would they get it?  Would they understand what we were telling them?  Turns out, they got it.  Turns out, they understood.  Without further ado (if you haven't watched it already), here is Barron's edition of Students react to being called important!  




Website I frequent:  Wonderopolis 

  • This is kind of a hold on from my days in the classroom.  Wonderopolis - somebody poses something they "wonder" about and the people of Wonderopolis do their best to explain it.  
  • I love how they highlight and define important vocabulary words.  I also love how every article they write comes with a video to act as an attention grabber.  On top of all that, there is the option to listen to the article and follow along as it is read for you!  
  • Wonderopolis was used as a station in my classroom.  The students could use the "wonder of the day" or pick any wonder they wondered about!  We would usually follow up the reading of a wonder with a 3-2-1 writing activity:  3 things the student learned from their wonder, 2 things that they found interesting and wanted to learn more about and 1 question they still had about the material.  
  • Anybody else use Wonderopolis?  Would love to know how you use it!  
  • I think this is one of the more important articles I've read this year.  It really does a nice job of resetting expectations and realities of Growth Mindset research and practices.  It's kind of an educational buzzword and far too often educational buzzwords come and go.  Carol Dweck is going to make sure this particular buzzword is here to stay.  
What I'm reading (bonus):   Greg Popovich broke down what he looks for in players, and it was an inspiring life lesson. 

  • I am fascinated in learning what great leaders believe to be the "secret formula" to their success as a leader.  Far too often, unless you have access that most people don't, you never really know what it was that made that person tick.  Thanks Pop for giving us common folk a little insight!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

The Braden Bin

Welcome to the second installment of The Braden Bin, formerly known as Friday Finds.  Yep, week two and the name has already changed.  For those that know me know that it is likely to change a few dozen more times.  Just the way I am.  I'm comfortable with it. (Haha, by the way, I actually changed the title AGAIN, while writing this blog.  It was Ben's Bin.  Oh me oh my.) Music I'm Jamming To:   Coming Home by Leon Bridges A blast from the past out of Ft. Worth,Texas.  That's right, not Detroit in the '60s...Ft. Worth, Texas - 2016.  Most of you probably have heard of him already but if you haven't, I'd suggest getting on the bandwagon now.  This guy is amazing and is only going to gain more popularity.  I cannot wait for his next album to come out. If you are into Vinyl, I strongly suggest picking this one up.   Bonus:   Lisa Sawyer by Leon Bridges What I'm watching :   German Coast Guard - what are you sinking about... Did you LOL?  I