Skip to main content

Slow Down

This post is going to seem a little life coachie.  Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a life coach, never claimed to be, never want to be, never will be.  But, I have learned some things along my journey that I feel obligated to share. 

I've got plenty of things that I am personally working on...

-  Read more
-  Eat less

You know, those types of things. 

Well, I got to thinking this morning because during a community circle I was participating in, the question that was proposed to the group was -

If you could make everybody in society follow ONE rule, what rule would it be?  

My buddy standing next to me whispered, "How many times do you think the GOLDEN RULE will be said before it gets to us?"  I said, "four". 

The right answer was 8. 

My answer - slow down

Life is SO fast, I feel it is extremely important to "carpe diem" to "live for the day" to...

Verb[edit]

  1. (idiomatic) To relax; to take time out of one's busy schedule to enjoy or appreciate the beauty of life.


I feel it is important enough to make it a rule and force everybody in society to follow it.  Not really.  I'm not a fan of rules and think we would be better off with less rather than more, but that is for another blog post.  

From honking your horn because you are in a hurry to get somewhere (you have no idea the battles the person in that car is going through) to getting annoyed at the server at the restaurant for taking too long to bring you your food (you have no idea the battles the person bringing your food is going through) to getting stressed about the amount of work you have to do (you have no idea the battles - never mind).  

My point is, SLOW DOWN.

Take a breath.  Take everything in.  Love the ones your with.  Love the ones you are not with.  Have empathy for those around you.  Know we are all in our own battles.  Appreciate life.  Appreciate the opportunity to have life.  I know far too many who didn't get that opportunity or at least the opportunity they got was cut far too short.  Let yourself feel your emotions, but then again, remember to slow down.  See the beauty of everything around you.  Hear the world moving.  Take a breath again.  Slow down.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

The Braden Bin

Welcome to the second installment of The Braden Bin, formerly known as Friday Finds.  Yep, week two and the name has already changed.  For those that know me know that it is likely to change a few dozen more times.  Just the way I am.  I'm comfortable with it. (Haha, by the way, I actually changed the title AGAIN, while writing this blog.  It was Ben's Bin.  Oh me oh my.) Music I'm Jamming To:   Coming Home by Leon Bridges A blast from the past out of Ft. Worth,Texas.  That's right, not Detroit in the '60s...Ft. Worth, Texas - 2016.  Most of you probably have heard of him already but if you haven't, I'd suggest getting on the bandwagon now.  This guy is amazing and is only going to gain more popularity.  I cannot wait for his next album to come out. If you are into Vinyl, I strongly suggest picking this one up.   Bonus:   Lisa Sawyer by Leon Bridges What I'm watching :   German Coast Guard - what are you sinking about... Did you LOL?  I