Skip to main content

Friday Finds

I'm going to try a new experiment.

Every Friday, I'm going to tell you about some things that have peaked my interest throughout the week.  Some of the things that I share with you will be education related, some will have absolutely nothing to do with education.

The reason I am doing this is that when I find something new that I like, I get so passionate about it it's hard for me to not blab about to everybody I see, every time I open my mouth.  This will provide me that release.  I hope you enjoy!

Feel free to comment at the bottom!

Friday Finds (yo) !


Article I've enjoyed:  Why It Never Helps to Pass The Buck by Michael Hyatt
  •  Outlines 6 Battle Tested Leadership Lessons from the Navy SEALS 
  •  A SEAL he talks about is Jocko Willink who continues to pop up on my twitter feed, podcasts that I listen to and articles that I am reading which seems interesting to me.  Pretty fascinatingly rough and tough dude.  Check him out.  


Music that's rocking my socks:  La Belle Fleur Sauvage by Lord Huron  
  • The whole album rocks socks.  
Video I've learned from:  The Backwards Brain Bicycle by Smarter Every Day
  • A lot of awesome things from Smarter Every Day which I'm sure I will share more of in the future.
  • This particular video draws a lot parallels to how difficult it is to learn something new.  
Favorite Twitter Post:  Most of the time this will not be a post made by yours truly, @Mr_Braden, but this one is cool!  


Former Indiana University basketball player and coach and now ESPN college basketball announcer who covers mostly Big Ten games was doing the game the other night.  It's #CoachesVsCancer week so I thought I would shoot that tweet over to him with the hopes of him sharing it.  He shares it, 20,000 people are made a little more aware of pediatric cancer.  Well, HE RETWEETED IT!  1- I'm a diehard Indiana basketball fan so THAT was awesome but 2- Avery has more of an opportunity to make a difference for kids fighting cancer!  Love it.  

This morning, I got a tweet from @CallDT who has a sports talk radio show out of Syracuse, New York (www.wakeupcalldt.com) asking for permission to mention Avery on his show this morning.  He had seen the retweet from Dakich and helped spread Avery's story to even more ears!   Very exciting stuff!  

How I'm shifting my Personal Paradigm:  
I'm going to spend my mornings working from a standup desk on wheels in the main hallway of my school.  It will give me more opportunities to interact with staff and students.  I'm going to really make a conscientious effort to spend A LOT less time in my office and A LOT more time interacting with kids.  It's why I got into education.

Disclaimer:  I got the idea from @MomentousAP who was a classmate of mine in grad school.  This guy is going to do a lot of things in Education, people.  Pay attention to him.  

Displaying Twitter DD.png

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

Creating Authentic Thinkers

I read a tweet the other day by @realscientists that said, "We've raised a generation of people who can DO math, but most don't UNDERSTAND what they're doing..." and if I could have made a standing ovation tweet, I would have.  Perfectly said. Maybe the tweet had such an impact on me because it is something I noticed this year in my classroom.    One example in particular is that my students do a pretty good job with the math but are struggling with the problems.  In other words, they can find a NUMBER but they struggle to find an ANSWER to a problem. I have a few theories as to why this is happening and what we can do to fix it. One, they are terrified of failing.  They've gone through hardcore testing for at least 3 years now and because of the stakes of those tests and their fear of failing them, they have allowed that to bleed into their every day academic lives and are now governed by it. Two, they've never had to.  This isn't a dog on t