Skip to main content

Let's Go Fishin'

Today, I had a teacher send me an email.

The contents of said email were, and I quote...."Are you up for a challenge?"  Followed by this picture...


Come to find out, the class is holding a contest.  

The Goal:  Pull out (with a rather flimsy fishing pole) all of the fish.  
The Winner:  He/She who can do it in the shortest amount of time.  

I can't wait to see the extensions she is going to be able to do with her students with the data gathered from this fun contest!  

Anyways, being the ultimate competitor (sore loser) that I am, and the fact that I am basically a professional deep water fisherman...



I thought, "What the heck, let's fish!"  and walked rather briskly down to the room.

I did alright.  Finished in 3 minutes 7 seconds and am sitting pretty comfortably in 2nd place.  No excuses.  It took me a minute to figure it out and besides...it was my first time playing, OK!

While walking back to  my room, my brain starts to process what just happened and I am taken aback by what I am thinking.  Did a game designed for 4+ year olds just teach me a lesson?

Here's what it taught me.  These fish spin around and around and around while, seemingly randomly, they slowly open their mouth hopefully in enough time for you to put the hook in.  I started to notices that there was a pattern to when they would open their mouth and that helped.  But still, it was hard.  You had to time it just right or the fish would close its' mouth to live yet another revolution.  You are trying to catch these fish as quickly as possible, so as not to be shown up by a bunch of 3rd graders.  Your eyes scan the pond and as soon as you see a fish open its mouth, you go for it, and more often than not, you will be too late.  Finally, I start picking a fish and following it as it went around, ignoring all if its friends and waiting patiently for an opportunity to snag it.  I don't take my eye off that fish, no matter if the mouth is open or not.  I follow it like stole something from me.  Perhaps my pride?  Boom, one down.  Bang, two.  Bada Bing, three, so on and so forth.    Finally, the pond is clear and I am satisfied.

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here to draw parallels between Let's Go Fishin' and life.  We've all got a lot of problems to solve.  Life throws curve balls at you when you least expect it and sometimes it feels like they are coming at the same time from a bunch of different directions.  It is SO EASY to become overwhelmed with EVERYTHING you have to get done.  Let's Go Fishin' just reinforced in my life the importance of focusing on just one thing at a time.  Pick a problem, ignore all the other noise, dominate said problem, then move on to the next one.  Rinse and repeat.

Of course we are all very busy and often times we are called upon to multitask and having the ability and flexibility to do so is an extremely important skill to have.  But,  I am suggesting that we all just SLOW DOWN a bit.  Be mindful of the problems in your life.  Try to prioritize the problems and the resources it will take to solve them.  Pick one and go.

It's better to dive head first into one problem than to belly flop into a sea of them.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is the Answer

 I haven't written a blog in a long time but due to a training I attended this morning, I feel compelled at the moment to do so.  This post was actually written about a year ago with some adjustments made today, here and there.   I am also making a commitment to write on a semi-regular basis.  My thoughts are better organized when I do - I'm a calmer, more balanced person when I write.  Would love if you shared in my experiences with me.  Maybe you can gain something.  Maybe not.  It is my hope that you do.   Ok.  So, here goes...  I had an interaction with a student today. A student whom I don't really know too well. Anyways, I'm speaking with this student whom I had to "discipline" the previous day.  That was the first time we had really had any interaction.  She made a poor choice.  In my communication with her, I made sure that I wasn't here to "judge" her for making said choice.   In my communication with her, I made sure to convey the feeli

Braden Bin - 2/9/18

Back by popular demand (not really), I introduce to you... THE BRADEN BIN!!!! My name is Ben Braden.  Get it?   Ok, so I'm going to start with a blog that came up on my Twitter (@Mr_Braden) timeline recently.  I'm going to do this knowing full well that in doing so, I might rip a hole right through the space time continuum (I never knew that word was spelled like that).  It's a blog, similar to this one here, in which an Assistant Principal, similar to this one here, writes about things that have piqued his interest, similar to this one here.   So, without further ado, here are the things that I'm interested in right now.   Blog I'm Enjoying:    The 1-5-15 Bulletin Love the format of this blog.  It's quick, it's easy and it's educational.   Book I'm Reading: One of my New Year Resolutions, the only one I have actually stuck with, is to read more in 2018.  In an attempt to help me accomplish the resolution, I decided to ta

Creating Authentic Thinkers

I read a tweet the other day by @realscientists that said, "We've raised a generation of people who can DO math, but most don't UNDERSTAND what they're doing..." and if I could have made a standing ovation tweet, I would have.  Perfectly said. Maybe the tweet had such an impact on me because it is something I noticed this year in my classroom.    One example in particular is that my students do a pretty good job with the math but are struggling with the problems.  In other words, they can find a NUMBER but they struggle to find an ANSWER to a problem. I have a few theories as to why this is happening and what we can do to fix it. One, they are terrified of failing.  They've gone through hardcore testing for at least 3 years now and because of the stakes of those tests and their fear of failing them, they have allowed that to bleed into their every day academic lives and are now governed by it. Two, they've never had to.  This isn't a dog on t